Adult In-School Mentor Program Caseworker
Adult In-School Mentoring (ISM) Program Caseworker
Full-time (35 hrs/week)
Reports to: Casework Manager
At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Guelph (BBBSG) it is our collective mission to promote the healthy development of the children and youth of our communities through a variety of quality mentoring programs. We seek to put children and youth on a path to lifelong success and change the trajectories of their lives in positive ways. We are committed to the recruitment of volunteers dedicated to upholding the values and principles of the agency and to those we serve.
The Caseworker of the Adult ISM program is an exciting opportunity to work with local schools in coordinating matches between children/youth and volunteers. As part of the casework team, you would work under the Casework Manager. The main focus of the program is to equip and support volunteers (mentors) as they at matched with a mentee in a local school; through the match, mentors are able to build relationships with their mentees in a way that is encouraging, empowering and life changing.
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Hours: 35 hours/week, permanent
Start Date: August 20, 2018
• Travel within Guelph and surrounding areas (requires a valid G license and access to reliable vehicle)
• Working with various local schools
• Large amounts of time working on a computer
• Strong teamwork environment
• Liaise with local schools and accept child/youth referrals
• Determine child’s eligibility and suitability for placement in the program based on referral information
• Maintain and monitor accurate wait-list of mentees
• Liaise with school liaisons in local schools to inform them about the program and determine school availability for programs, including if appropriate space will be available
• Screen potential volunteers to determine acceptance or rejection into the program through reviewing their files, conducting interviews and completing reference calls
• Conduct program specific training for ISM mentors
• Match screened volunteers to a suitable mentee and provide support and necessary intervention throughout the duration of the match
• Provide ongoing communications with school liaison to develop a mutually beneficial relationship
• Purchase and provide required program materials to schools
• Ensure program is run according to National Standards and within budget
• Maintain case notes on all matches
• Perform administrative functions as required to manage caseload
• Provide regular reports to the Executive Director as required (e.g. statistics)
• Update the ISM resources website
• 2 year post-secondary degree or diploma in Social Services, Social Work, Child/Family Studies, Education or related field
• Strong computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Outlook
• Access to vehicle is required
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently and take initiative
• Experience working with vulnerable persons
• Experience with children/youth/families
• Experience in an office environment is an asset
• Experience with diversity, equity and inclusion is an asset
• Interest and knowledge of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Guelph
For more information about our agency, please visit our website at www.bbbsg.ca. Please forward your resume and cover letter no later than July 13, 2018 to the attention of Laura Bernhardt, Casework Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Guelph are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications that will contribute to a diverse team.
We thank everyone for their resume; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.